Hiking is defined as a “long walk especially for the purpose of pleasure”. There is a difference between a casual stroll in a park versus heading up into the wild trails of a mountain. To maximize enjoyment and keep yourself safe, there are important tools and resources it is beneficial to learn. In this informative clinic, you will gain valuable knowledge about:
• The importance of trip planning
• Appropriate clothing for the seasons
• Essential safety gear to carry and how to use it
• Fundamental map reading skills
• Helpful tips to keep you on-trail and on-time
You will then have the opportunity to experience a mountain hike by going for a “long pleasure walk” to the summit of Mt. Gardner, Bowen’s highest peak. This mountain is well-suited to apply your newfound skills as it is notorious for leading first-timers astray.
Once back in the Cove, we will celebrate with a special treat at one of Bowen’s favourite hangouts.