If you are planning a self-guided hiking trip to Bowen Island during the warm-season months, these are some recommended essentials to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Research your route. Find Bowen trails information here.
- Check the weather forecast and plan for daylight.
- Check the ferry schedule.
- Decide on your transportation. Bowen is a walking-friendly island, you may want to consider taking public transportation instead of bringing your vehicle. Learn more about getting to Bowen here.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return. File a trip plan using AdventureSmart’s online tool.
- Pack your bag. Download your Hiking Checklist PDF.
What to bring
Clothing and footwear
- Daypack for carrying items
- Proper hiking shoes or boots
- Weather-appropriate outdoor clothing (e.g. wicking base layers for warmer days, breathable waterproof jacket for rainy days, insulating layers for cooler days or evenings)
- Sun protection including hat and sunglasses
- Extra dry clothing (e.g. socks and base layers) for rainy weather
Essential safety items
- Headlamp or flashlight
- First aid kit
- Map and compass/GPS (Note: cell service in many areas is spotty or unavailable)
- Water or other hydrating liquids
- Nutrient-dense snacks or lunch (find some suggestions here)
- Phone to call in emergency
- Hiking polls
- Camera and extra batteries
- Emergency blanket or bivy bag
- In the summer months, observe the local fire danger ratings. All open fires are banned. Please consider not smoking on the trails while the forests are tinder dry.
- Most hikes on Bowen include hills of varying degree. Ensure your fitness level is adequate for your chosen route.
- Many trails are dog friendly, however, some do require a leash.
- Respect the environment. Please pack out your garbage (and your dog’s poop).
- Bring your adventurous spirit and remember to have fun!
Be adventure smart. Even though Bowen Island is relatively small, you can still find yourself in a remote location. If you would prefer to hike with a local guide, check out our hiking adventures here.
In Charge of Fun
Baz believes adventure begins with freshly-brewed coffee and ends with West Coast craft beer.